We haven’t seen much cool weather here in sunny California…last Saturday it reached 87 degrees here in Los Angeles. The weather is a bit cooler today, but it’s still beautiful outside. I was planning on making burgers tonight on the barbeque, but I’m craving soup! I thought I would share a favorite recipe of mine, for all of my friends who are braving the VERY cold winter…creamy potato soup! And, I probably don’t need to say that everything is better with a little bacon. Enjoy!
- 7 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 quart water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 quart milk
- Sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine potatoes, celery, onion, water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool slightly. Place half of the potato mixture in a blender; cover and puree. Repeat with remaining potato mixture; set aside.
2. In the same kettle, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Return potato puree to the pan and heat through. Garnish individual servings with sour cream and cheese if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings
One thought on “Comfort Food”
I would love pairing this recipe with my fav cheese-garlic bread.